Friday, 12 October, 2001
Sometimes Force is Necessary
Subject: Force is Necessary
How to teach a naive, hemp-shirt-wearing college idiot that force is sometimes needed.
- Approach student talking about peace and advocating negotiation.
- Engage in brief conversation, and ask if military force is appropriate. When he says No, ask, Why not?
- Wait to hear: Because that would just cause more innocent deaths, and it would be awful and invite more violence. When he is in mid-sentence, punch him hard in the face.
- When he gets back up to punch you, point out that it would be a mistake and contrary to his values to strike you, as that would be awful and invite more violence.
- When he agrees and pledges not to commit additional violence, punch him in the face again. Harder if possible.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until he understands that there's just no negotiating with some people.
Somebody I forwarded that to responded that all is fine until I attract the attention of a police officer. True enough. But if I resisted arrest, the police officer would give me a lesson in violence, thereby proving my point.